A proven record
Our firm has achieved numerous million and multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements. We often take cases that other firms have refused and win.
Brooklyn Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Brooklyn’s streets are bustling and motorcyclists, and their passengers are faced with traffic and road hazards every day. Drivers are often distracted, and they do not pay attention to motorcyclists that are legally traveling by their side. Motorcyclists are involved in crashes every day for a number of reasons, but regardless of the cause, the results are typically devastating.
Many motorcyclists know they can file a legal claim after a crash, but all too often they try to minimize their costs by filing alone without the help of an attorney. It is then too late when bikers realize that it is extremely difficult to recover from their injuries while missing work and filing a legal claim at the same time. If you have been involved in a crash while on your bike, a Brooklyn motorcycle accident lawyer from Silberstein, Awad & Milos, P.C. can help with your claim so you can secure the compensation you deserve.
How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Case?
When working on your case, a Brooklyn motorcycle accident lawyer will take on many duties. A lawyer will have the necessary knowledge of the legal documentation that is required, court-mandated guidelines, and more. The tasks your lawyer will complete for your claim include:
- Conduct an investigation into the accident
- Obtain evidence that supports your claim
- Locate witnesses and take affidavits and statements that serve as useful evidence
- Communicate with the liable party and their insurance company
- File a lawsuit in the event that the insurer refuses to offer a fair settlement
- Respond to motions brought by the liable party’s attorneys
- Draft legal briefs
The longer you wait to speak to an attorney after a motorcycle accident, the longer you may have to wait to obtain the rightful compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Brooklyn
Motorcycle accidents are typically caused by the negligence of other drivers who do not give bikers the respect they deserve while on the roads. However, other types of negligence, such as when manufacturers are careless, can also result in an accident. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents are as follows:
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Defective motorcycles or motorcycle parts
- Hazardous road conditions
- Poorly marked streets
It is important to determine the cause of an accident so you know which party to hold liable for damages. For example, you may think a driver that crashed into you caused the accident, but a lawyer may find that it was actually a defective part on the motorcycle that caused the collision.
Why are Motorcyclists in Brooklyn More Prone to Injury?
Motorcyclists do not have the same type of protections as drivers. While a minor accident may not result in a truck driver sustaining any injuries, that same crash could be catastrophic for a biker. Motorcyclists are much more likely than any other motorist to sustain a traumatic brain injury, broken bones, and road rash that could result in significant complications. There are many reasons why Brooklyn motorcyclists are at greater risk of injury on the roads, including:
Brooklyn is a dense urban area. Residents must live and drive in close proximity to one another. Congested roads always increase the risk of a collision for bikers. Roads that are commonly traveled are also more prone to developing road hazards, such as potholes, which can be disastrous for bikers.
Although there are some motorcycles that are equipped with three or four wheels, the majority of these vehicles have only two. It is much harder for motorists to balance on just two wheels. This instability can result in an accident that leads to serious injuries. According to a recent study, 91 percent of all fatal motorcycle accidents involve bikes with just two wheels.
Debris in the roads is inconsequential for drivers that have windshields and a steel frame surrounding them. However, bikers are much more exposed to these hazards, which can lead to an accident that results in serious injury.
Motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles, and drivers do not always watch for them the same way they do other cars and motorists. When a driver makes a small mistake such as changing lanes without checking their blind spots, bikers can suffer immensely.
Motorcyclists are at an inherent disadvantage when they are on the roads, but that does not limit their right to be there.
Treatment Required After a Motorcycle Accident
The injuries that result from a motorcycle accident are some of the worst a person could endure. These injuries require extensive treatment, which could include:
- Short-term treatment: Although rare, certain injuries such as a minor case of road rash may not require extensive treatment. Still, these injuries can require a significant period of home recovery, causing the biker to miss work.
- Long-term treatment: It is much more common for bikers to sustain serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment. The cost associated with these injuries is much more extensive, and they are much more painful.
- Physical therapy: Sometimes, injuries are so severe that bikers require extensive physical therapy during the recovery process. Physical therapy only adds to the cost of the injuries sustained, and is sometimes a painful process.
- Long-term care: When a biker sustains a catastrophic injury such as paralysis or a traumatic brain injury, they often require life-long treatment. Bikers may even have to change their lifestyle and seek accommodations.
Motorcyclists face a long road to recovery after a crash. That recovery takes a physical, emotional and financial toll on victims. A Brooklyn motorcycle accident lawyer can help you recover the full damages you need during your recovery.
Get Legal Help Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, it is critical that you speak to our Brooklyn motorcycle accident lawyers at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. today. We know how to identify the liable party and will collect evidence to support your claim so you recover the full damages you deserve. Contact us to schedule a free consultation.