A proven record
Our firm has achieved numerous million and multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements. We often take cases that other firms have refused and win.
Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyer
Trucks are a common sight in Brooklyn, and they are also necessary. People rely on trucks to deliver the goods they use every day, but not all truck journeys end well. Trucks get into accidents just like other vehicles on the road. When they do, people in smaller passenger vehicles have very little chance of escaping the crash without injury. Injured individuals can file a claim when someone else’s negligence caused the crash, but these claims are not easy to file. Truck accidents are vastly different than car accidents and more complex. An experienced Brooklyn truck accident lawyer from Silberstein, Awad & Miklos can help you overcome the challenges these claims present.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Truck Accident Claim
Truck accidents, like any other type of crash on the road, require an extensive investigation. This is usually the only way to determine which party was liable for the accident. For individuals who have never been in a truck accident before, these investigations are almost impossible to conduct. A Brooklyn truck accident lawyer will know how to conduct an investigation to collect evidence that supports your claim.
Much of the evidence needed for a truck accident claim lies with the trucking company. A lawyer will know how to approach the trucking company to obtain important evidence such as the driver’s log book, time card, route schedule, trip sheets, and manifests. This documentation can help prove the truck driver was inexperienced or incapable of driving a transport-trailer. This evidence may also show that a truck was not properly inspected or maintained. Trucking companies do not want to part with this documentation because it can prove that they were liable for the crash. A lawyer will know how to subpoena this important evidence so it can help with your case.
Other ways a lawyer can help with your claim include:
- Have a wealth of knowledge of the state and federal laws that regulate the trucking industry and explain how they apply to your case,
- Locate all witnesses and interview them to collect evidence that will help prove your claim,
- Determine which insurance company is liable for paying you damages,
- Enter into negotiations with the insurer to recover the fair settlement you deserve, and
- Take your case to trial and argue it in front of a jury, if necessary
In short, a truck accident lawyer will be involved in every part of your case so you can focus on your recovery.
Types of Large Trucks in Brooklyn
When people think of truck accidents, they typically think of the large tractor-trailers that are so common in Brooklyn. However, there are other types of large trucks in Brooklyn that can cause the same serious injuries, including:
- Delivery trucks
- Sanitation vehicles
- Dump trucks
- Moving trucks
- Cement mixers
- Heavy haulers
- Flatbed trucks
All of these trucks are capable of getting into an accident and causing victims serious injuries. The claims involving accidents with these types of trucks are just as difficult and they pose just as many challenges as claims involving transport-trailers.
Common Types of Truck Crashes
Although truck accidents are very common, they do not always happen in the same way. There are many different types of truck accidents:
- Jackknife accidents: These accidents occur when the trailer of a truck does not stay in line with the cab, but moves perpendicular to it. These accidents are typically caused by a driver that loses control of their truck, and they are often deadly to anyone in the vicinity.
- Rollovers: A rollover occurs when a truck rolls onto its side or rolls completely over. Tire blowouts and improper loading usually cause rollover accidents.
- Underride accidents: Underride accidents occur when a smaller vehicle slides underneath a tractor-trailer. These accidents are often fatal and are some of the most serious truck accidents that occur on the roads.
- Detached trailers: Malfunctioning and defective hitches can cause a trailer to detach from the cab of the truck, which can result in catastrophic injuries. Trailer detachments also sometimes happen when the truck is involved in an accident with another vehicle.
- Wide turn crashes: Transport trucks need a lot more room to make turns than other vehicles. When truck drivers do not make a turn properly, other vehicles or even pedestrians may be caught in between the truck and the curb, which can also be fatal.
- Unsecured cargo: It is essential that cargo is properly loaded into a truck. If it is not, it may shift during transport, throwing the entire truck off balance, which could result in an accident.
Regardless of the type of truck accident a person is involved in, all of them can result in serious injuries and in the worst of cases, a person may not survive the crash.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Any act of negligence can result in a truck accident, but there are some that are more common than others. The most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Refusal to yield
- Drowsy driving
- Reckless driving
- Defective truck parts
It is important to identify the cause of your accident so that you know which party to hold liable. A Brooklyn truck accident lawyer will use many resources such as accident reconstruction professionals, pictures, video surveillance, and more to determine the cause of the accident that resulted in your injuries.
Get Legal Help Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in a crash with a truck, our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers can help with your case. At Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, we will conduct an investigation to determine which party was liable and collect evidence to prove your claim. We will also negotiate aggressively with the insurance company to secure the maximum settlement you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a meeting with one of our attorneys so we can review your case for free.