A proven record
Our firm has achieved numerous million and multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements. We often take cases that other firms have refused and win.
Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer
Semi-trucks are a necessity in Long Island, and throughout all of New York. These important vehicles deliver the goods consumers use every day, but they are just as likely to become involved in an accident as any other motorist. Truck accidents cause much more serious injuries than crashes involving two passenger vehicles. Tragically, some accident victims do not survive these collisions. Injured individuals or their family members can file a claim after a truck accident that resulted in injury or death. An experienced Long Island truck accident lawyer from Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. can help you recover the maximum damages you deserve to fully cover your losses.
Why Hire a Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer?
Many people think that when filing a claim after a truck accident, they can go it alone. While there is no law that requires accident victims to use a lawyer, it is always recommended after a truck accident. When working on your claim, a knowledgeable attorney will:
- Know the state and federal laws that govern the trucking industry
- Conduct a thorough investigation to determine what caused the crash
- Interview all witnesses and experts that can support your claim
- Enter into negotiations with the insurance company that likely does not want to pay a fair settlement
- Take your case to trial and argue it in front of a jury, if necessary
- Manage every part of your claim
Truck accidents cause catastrophic injuries that are very painful, costly, and that take a long time to recover from. It is extremely difficult for accident victims to focus on their recovery while also taking the steps necessary in a truck accident claim. A Long Island truck accident lawyer will ensure paperwork is filed properly and on time, helping to give you the best chance of success.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are extremely common, but not all truck accidents are the same. The most common types of truck accidents include:
- Rollovers: Improper loading of cargo and tire blowouts can cause a driver to lose control of a truck, resulting in a rollover accident.
- Jackknife accidents: A jackknife accident occurs when the trailer swings away from the cab of the truck and sits perpendicular to it. Jackknife accidents are also typically a result of a truck driver losing control of their vehicle.
- Trailer detachments: When a hitch is defective or malfunctioning, it can cause the trailer to detach from the rest of the truck, resulting in extremely serious injuries. A trailer detachment may also occur when the truck is involved in a crash with another vehicle.
- Under ride accidents: When a passenger vehicle slides underneath the trailer of a truck, it is known as an under ride accident. These are some of the most serious types of truck accidents and often result in death.
- Wide turn accidents: Transport trucks require much more room than other vehicles when making a turn. Passenger vehicles are sometimes caught in between the truck and other vehicles or obstacles such as curbs when trucks are making these turns, which results in very serious injuries.
- Unsecured cargo: Not all cargo within a truck is tightly secured inside the trailer. Sometimes trailers are left partially open, which can result in unsecured cargo falling off the truck and causing an accident.
Regardless of the type of truck accident a person is involved in, they are avoidable in most cases and only occur due to someone else’s negligence.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. Truckers are under an immense amount of pressure to meet tight deadlines, so they are often on the roads for long periods at one time. Many people think most truck accidents are caused by tired truck drivers, but that is just one cause. Other common causes of truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Truck driver negligence
- Improperly secured cargo
- Defective or malfunctioning truck parts
- Inclement weather
- Road hazards or other poor road conditions
Even when the circumstances are out of a driver’s control, everyone on the road is still expected to know how to safely react to them. For example, Long Island sees many severe snowstorms that make the roads icy and slippery. Truck drivers are still expected to know how to drive safely in the snow—and when they do not, they can be held liable for an accident.
Liable Parties After a Truck Accident
It is easy to assume that the truck driver is always the negligent party in a truck accident. While that is often the case, it is not uncommon for other parties to be held liable as well, even when they were not at the crash site. The liable parties in any truck accident case may include:
- Truck driver: When a truck driver is negligent or careless, they can be held liable for paying damages.
- Trucking company: Trucking companies are responsible for ensuring they are hiring experienced and competent drivers, and for providing appropriate training for them.
- Truck manufacturers: All manufacturers are responsible for making sure their products are safe. When truck manufacturers create parts that are defective and malfunction, they can be held liable for a crash.
- Maintenance companies: Trucking companies are responsible for ensuring their trucks are properly maintained, but the maintenance companies must also ensure they are properly maintaining the trucks. When they fail to meet this responsibility, they can be held liable.
- Cargo loading companies: It is not always the truck driver or someone else from the trucking companies that loads the cargo onto a truck. When a separate company or person loads the cargo and does not make sure it is properly secured, they can be held liable.
Determining who was liable for a crash is one of the most difficult aspects of any case. A Long Island truck accident lawyer can help determine who was at fault and collect evidence to prove your claim.
Get Legal Help Today
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a crash, our Long Island truck accident lawyers at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. can assist with your case. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys and to learn more about how we can help.