A proven record
Our firm has achieved numerous million and multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements. We often take cases that other firms have refused and win.
Bronx Slip and Fall Lawyer
At first, a slip and fall may not sound like a major accident, but they cause catastrophic injuries every year. Slip and fall accidents happen in an instant, and individuals often do not know what to do afterwards. It is essential that all accident victims understand that they have legal rights to compensation when another person’s negligence caused the slip and fall. A Bronx slip and fall lawyer will ensure injured individuals receive a fair settlement that will fully cover the cost of the injuries and any other loss sustained.
How Can a Lawyer Help You Claim Damages?
Just as many people think slip and fall accidents are only minor, accident victims often do not realize they need a lawyer to help with their case. After this type of accident, a Bronx slip and fall lawyer will bring many benefits including:
- Accurately assessing your damages: Accident victims often underestimate the amount of medical treatment they will need after a slip and fall. It is also sometimes difficult for people to accurately assess their other losses as well, such as pain and suffering. A lawyer will know how to identify and assess the damages so you receive the full amount you deserve.
- Providing sound legal advice: Slip and fall accidents are governed by many laws in New York. A lawyer will know what these laws entail and how they apply to your case.
- Negotiating a fair settlement: It is not easy to recover damages from insurance companies and liable parties. Lawyers are skilled negotiators because they do it every day and will not stop negotiating until you recover the fair settlement you deserve.
- Represent you at trial: Sometimes, insurance companies and liable parties refuse to offer a fair settlement. In these cases, a lawyer will take your case to trial and argue your case in front of a judge or jury.
The above are just a few ways in which a lawyer will help with your slip and fall case. A lawyer will also act as your advocate at all times and take care of all the legwork associated with your claim so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Why Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
A slip and fall accident may sound unpreventable, but that is not necessarily the case. Most of the time, slip and falls occur because of someone’s negligence, such as a business owner or property owner. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents are as follows:
- Wet and slippery floors
- Torn and damaged carpeting
- Loose floorboards
- Stairways that are not properly lit
- Unsecured electrical cords
- Ladders that are broken and unsafe
- Handrails that are loose, broken, or missing
Any time you are injured in a slip and fall due to the above causes, or any other type of negligence, it is important to speak to a lawyer who can advise on your case.
Common Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are very serious. Just a few of the injuries that are caused by these accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries: People often land in an awkward position during a slip and fall, hurting their backs and suffering spinal cord injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries: It is extremely common for accident victims to hit their head on the ground or other objects when they fall, which could result in a traumatic brain injury.
- Broken bones: During a slip and fall, a person may land on their arm or leg and the bone is not strong enough to withstand the impact, resulting in one or more broken bones.
- Soft tissue injuries: The ankles, knees, and other joints are at great risk for becoming injured during a slip and fall and these areas of the body contain many soft tissues.
Sadly, the above are just a few of the most common injuries caused by slip and fall accidents. It is not uncommon for a catastrophic injury or even wrongful death to occur after a slip and fall.
How Much is a Slip and Fall Claim Worth?
It is impossible to accurately value a slip and fall claim without first examining all the facts of a specific case. The amount of damages available in a slip and fall claim largely depends on the nature and severity of the injuries. However, there are some types of damages commonly seen in slip and fall cases. After an accident, victims may be able to claim:
- Medical and rehabilitative care costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Accident victims cannot always identify the full amount of losses they sustained during a slip and fall. A Bronx slip and fall lawyer will know what damages are available in your case and will negotiate for the fair settlement you deserve.
When to Speak to a Slip and Fall Lawyer
It is always advised that you speak to a lawyer after a slip and fall, particularly if you have suffered an injury, are unable to return to work, or the negligent party is trying to shift the blame to you. It is important to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible, because the statute of limitations on these claims is three years from the date of the accident.
This means you have only three years to file your claim, or you will forfeit your right to damages. Prior to filing your claim, a lawyer will conduct an investigation and collect evidence to prove your claim, which takes time. Giving a lawyer the full amount of time they need to prove your case will give you the best chance of recovering the damages you need.
Get Legal Help Today
After a slip and fall accident, you need a Bronx slip and fall lawyer who will fight for your rights—and that is what our attorneys at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. do for accident victims every day. If you have been hurt, contact us today to schedule a free consultation so we can advise on your claim.