A proven record

Our firm has achieved numerous million and multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements. We often take cases that other firms have refused and win.

Do You Have to Report an Accident to the NY DMV?

Do You Have to Report an Accident to the NY DMV?

The time after a car accident is a confusing one. You are likely suffering from serious injuries and may not know what to do next. At Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C., one of the most commonly asked questions we hear is, “Do you have to report an accident to the NY DMV?” Read on to find the answer.

Of course, after a crash, it’s always wise to speak with a New York City car accident lawyer. Contact us today to request a complimentary consultation so that our team can help advise you on the next steps to protect you and your case.

When Are You Required to Report Accidents to the DMV?

If a crash results in injuries or property damage exceeding $1,000 in value, it’s required by law to report an accident to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). When a crash meets the reporting requirements, you must inform the DMV within ten days of the accident.

The DMV is the agency responsible for overseeing vehicle registrations and driver’s licenses for all residents of New York State. To report a crash to the DMV, complete and submit form MV-104.

Reporting an Accident to the Police

Just about any car accident will cause some amount of property damage. If the damage is less than $1,000 and there are no injuries, you do not have to report the crash to the DMV. You only have to exchange your contact and insurance information with the other driver or drivers involved. If the accident involved a parked car or a domestic animal, you must inform the owner of the accident or report the accident to the police.

After the police have been informed of the crash, they will write and file a report. The police report is an important piece of evidence when filing a claim after a crash, but not everyone knows how to obtain a copy of the accident report.  To obtain your report, take the following steps:

  • Visit the police station: The report was likely filed at the police station closest to where the accident occurred. You can find the nearest precinct on the New York Police Department
  • Ask an officer: Once at the police station, ask an officer for a copy of the accident report. You must present your name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and a valid photo ID.
  • Pay the fee: A fee of $10 is required to perform the search; a fee of $15 is required to receive a copy of the report.

What Do Accident Reports Include?

You must use the New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Report when filing an insurance claim. This legal document not only helps the insurance company to determine which driver was at fault but also provides proof that the crash occurred. When filing this accident report, include the following information:

  • Details of the accident, such as any weather conditions that contributed to the crash
  • The specific location of the accident
  • An itemized list of damages and injuries
  • The names of any eyewitnesses
  • Names and contact information of anyone who sustained injuries during the accident
  • Names and contact information of any owner or driver of a vehicle involved in the crash

Police reports, on the other hand, also include certain information:

  • The events that led up to the accident, such as reduced visibility or poor road conditions
  • Any damage the accident caused, including injuries, photos of the damaged vehicles involved, and any property damage found at the scene of the crash
  • Any statements provided by drivers, occupants involved in the accident, or eyewitnesses
  • A copy of any important documents, including estimates for repairs to your vehicle or medical documents detailing the severity of your injuries
  • The time it took for ambulances and other emergency personnel to arrive on the scene of the crash
  • The details surrounding any citation issued to any driver involved in the accident
  • Any other detail that is relevant to the accident

The NY DMV Re-Examination Program

In some instances, the New York DMV may decide to re-examine drivers who the agency believes are not safe to drive. You may have to be re-examined if any of the following situations apply to you:

  • You have been involved in three or more accidents that have been reported to the DMV in the past eighteen months.
  • You have at least one accident report filed with the DMV and your driver’s license has been suspended or revoked, or you have had a restricted or conditional license within the past three years.
  • You have been charged with a moving violation as a result of the crash.
  • The court has mandated that you complete an accident prevention course.

What to Do After a Car Crash in New York City

It’s natural to feel shaken and upset after a car accident. You may not immediately know what to do or what steps to take. Here are the most important things to do after a car accident:

  • Call the police if the crash resulted in injury or property damage exceeding $1,000 in value.
  • Seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not think you sustained injuries.
  • Take pictures of any damaged vehicle, your injuries, and anything else relevant to the crash.
  • Report the accident to your own insurance company.
  • Exchange information with any other driver, pedestrian, or cyclist involved in the crash.
  • Obtain a copy of the police report and file an accident report with the DMV.
  • Consult an NYC injury attorney who can help you claim any damages you deserve.

Get the Help You Need Today

After a crash, you need sound legal advice. At Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C., our New York City car accident lawyers can advise you of your options and ensure you obtain the full and fair settlement you justly deserve. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more.