How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case
After a dog bite or becoming the victim of medical malpractice, you likely need a New York personal injury lawyer to claim the full damages you deserve. Unfortunately, finding one isn’t always easy. Not only will you want a lawyer to simply help with your case, but you want the best lawyer possible. Learn how to find the best personal injury lawyer for your case, below.
The skilled attorneys at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. have the knowledge and experience to win your case. Request a free consultation today.
Find a Specialized Lawyer
The area of law is highly specialized, and while one lawyer may know a lot about personal injury law, another may specialize in family law matters, such as divorce. When you need legal help, you need a lawyer that knows as much about the area of law you’re dealing with as possible. So, your first priority should be to find a lawyer that’s specialized in the area of personal injury law you require. When you find a lawyer that already has experience negotiating with insurance companies to recover the fair settlement you deserve, your case is already off to a good start.
Find a Lawyer that Wants Your Case
Sadly, not every lawyer will want your case. While you have to find a lawyer that you believe is a good fit, the lawyer will also make the same determination. If a lawyer doesn’t think your case has a lot of merit, they may not take it because they’ll end up putting in a lot of work that ultimately doesn’t pay them anything if they lose.
Even if you don’t find a lawyer that will take your case for whatever reason, you may still be able to hire them on an hourly basis. In this case, the lawyer is still available to advise you on the most important legal matters of your case, but will not work on your case the entire time.
Ask Friends and Family
The chances are good that someone you know has been involved in an accident and has already hired a personal injury lawyer in the past. Ask the people you know which lawyer they used and about their experience. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising for lawyers and they rely on it heavily. Still, don’t choose a lawyer solely because someone you know recommended them. Always conduct other research that can back up the claims of people you know personally.
Ask a Lawyer You Already Know
If you already know a lawyer, they can be of great help when you’re trying to find one yourself. You may have worked with a lawyer on another legal matter, such as drafting your will. Or, perhaps you personally know a lawyer. Even if the lawyer you know doesn’t specialize in personal injury law, they will likely be able to refer you to one that does.
Look in Directories
There are many online directories today that list businesses, and law firms are no exception. The New York Bar Association also has a search function that will allow you to find a lawyer. Look in these online directories to find the experience, education, and fees of different lawyers. This can help you create a list of lawyers you think may be right for your case so you can find the one that’s right for you.
Create a List of Potential Attorneys
You should never hire a lawyer solely based on what a friend says, or limit yourself to the lawyers found in an online directory. While these are good ways to get a list of potential lawyers, you will never really know which one is right for you until you speak to them. So, use the above tips to help you create a list of potential lawyers and then call each of them separately so you can speak with them.
Questions to Ask Any Personal Injury Lawyer
Finding the New York personal injury lawyer that’s right for your case largely lies in the questions you ask, and the answers you receive.
The most important questions to ask any lawyer are as follows:
- What are your fees? Different personal injury lawyers have different fee structures. While some may charge an hourly fee, others will work on a contingency basis, which means you will pay them a portion of your settlement if, and only if, they win your case. It’s important to know what a lawyer’s fee structure is so you know what to expect.
- Have you handled cases like mine before? Again, you want a lawyer that has the necessary experience, and that means they should have worked on cases like yours before.
- How will you keep me updated on the status of my case? Your legal case is likely one of the most important things going on in your life and you want to be updated on it as soon as there’s a new development. Ask any lawyer you speak to when you’ll receive updates, and how you can expect to receive them.
- How many cases do you handle at one time? You only have a limited amount of time to file your claim, and if that time expires, you will forfeit your right to damages. Due to this, you don’t want a lawyer that is so overloaded they will cause a delay in your case.
- How much is my case worth? This is one of the most common questions personal injury lawyers hear. After reviewing the facts of your case, a lawyer should be able to advise on how much they believe it’s worth, which can make a big difference in the one you ultimately hire.
After asking these questions of the lawyers on your list, it is important to go home, compare notes, and determine which one you think is right for your case.
Call Our Personal Injury Lawyers in New York Today
We hope you now know how to find the best personal injury lawyer for your case. If you need a New York personal injury lawyer, our skilled attorneys at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. are here to answer all your questions and help you through the process. Call us today at 1-877-ASK4SAM or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.