New York Misdiagnosis Lawyers
Misdiagnosis is a frighteningly common form of medical negligence, which happens most often in the emergency room, but can also occur during a regular office visit. The results of a misdiagnosis are typically delayed treatment, no treatment at all, or a treatment for the wrong condition, all of which can have devastating health effects. If you have been the victim of medical negligence due to a misdiagnosis of some kind it is important you seek the assistance of a New York misdiagnosis lawyer today.
Delayed or Lack of Treatment
Delayed treatment allows a condition to progress, causing additional damage, or even death. This delay typically results in harsher, more dangerous treatments, significantly reducing a person’s chance of survival or recovery. The outcome for patients that survive a misdiagnosis usually falls into one of three categories:
- A more harmful second occurrence as a result of total lack of treatment and knowledge of an event, such as a heart attack.
- Immediate, permanent damage due to misdiagnosis of a condition such as a stroke, which must be properly treated within minutes to minimize the effects. This can mean permanent brain injury and other forms of disability.
- More aggressive treatment with a reduced chance of survival or recovery.
Treatment for a Non-Existent Condition
Treatment for a condition you do not have can mean undergoing unnecessary, painful, and even life-threatening tests and procedures. In the meantime, if there is another condition present, it is going untreated and progressing further.
Patients in perfect health have undergone years of expensive and life-altering treatment due to false positive readings on routine tests. Patients displaying no symptoms should always be re-tested before undergoing treatment for a serious illness. To learn more consult with a New York medical misdiagnosis attorney today.
There are three important aspects of recovering from misdiagnosis: physical, emotional and financial. Sadly, many patients will not be able to recover physically or emotionally. However, with the proper medical care, and the support of loved ones, some patients can make a full come-back.
The treatments required for recovery from misdiagnosis are typically far more expensive than treatment would have been with a correct diagnosis. Getting the compensation you deserve may be the only way you can afford the treatment you now require. If you or a loved one has been harmed or killed as a result of misdiagnosis by a physician or a hospital, you may be entitled to the following forms of compensation through the assistance of a New York medical misdiagnosis lawyer:
- Past medical bills for procedures you did not need
- Future medical bills to treat the now worsened condition
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Counseling or psychiatric treatment
- Past and future lost wages
- In-home care
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Burial expenses
Contact the New York medical misdiagnosis lawyers at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. Our firm proudly serves clients in the New York area, including the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, New York City, and Long Island.